Our Energy Conservation programs save residents money and improve the safety of the homes they dwell in. PRAB experienced and dedicated team has made conserving energy a way of life for thousands of people.
Middlesex County Weatherization Assistance Program at PRAB
The Weatherization Assistance Program reduces energy costs for low–income households by increasing the energy efficiency of their homes, while ensuring health and safety. Professionally trained Weatherization Crews use computerized energy audits and advanced diagnostic equipment to determine the most appropriate cost–effective measures for each home. Weatherization crews also perform health and safety tests. On average, annual energy costs on a home can be reduced by $413 or more after the home undergoes weatherization.
The Middlesex County Low–Income Home Energy Assistance Program at PRAB
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) assists eligible individuals and families to receive a benefit towards lowering their heating bills. This program also offers a cooling assistance benefit towards the use of air conditioning during the summer months for those who have a medical need. The Universal Service Fund (USF) provides monthly credits on gas or electric utility bills depending upon the applicant’s energy burden. LIHEAP applications are accepted in person at the following three locations: New Brunswick, Perth Amboy, and Carteret. All applications by mail are only accepted at PRAB main office located at 90 Jersey Avenue, New Brunswick. LIHEAP applications are accepted between October 1st and April 30th. USF applications are accepted year round. All households must meet the income eligibility requirements in order to receive assistance (see Income Eligibility Table).
For instructions on how to apply, please click here.
The New Jersey Statewide Heating Assistance and Referral for Energy Services (NJ SHARES) is a fund designed to offer financial help to individuals and families living in the State, who are in need of temporary aid for paying their energy bills. Grants from NJ SHARES are targeted to residential energy customers who have short term financial difficulties have exhausted all other available resources and are not eligible for Federal and State assistance programs. It also provides emergency oil deliveries for fuel heating applicants .
PRAB is now managing applications for the Temporary Relief of Utility Expenses (TRUE) and Payment Assistance for Gas and Electric (PAGE) Programs. These programs expand our Home Energy Assistance Program offerings to best serve the utility needs of the Middlesex County community. PRAB is now able to offer USF, LIHEAP, TRUE, PAGE and NJ Shares utility assistance programs. Attached below is the program application form. Applications are accepted by mail to
TRUE/PAGE Program, 90 Jersey Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ, 08901
or by calling for an appointment to 732-828-4541.
Warm Neighbors Program
Currently offered to Elizabethtown Gas Customers Only.
This energy assistance program called Warm Neighbors is a matching funds program designed to assist customers who need help paying their heating bills. This program can provide a one-time grant toward your gas heating bill for customers who face temporary financial hardships or family crisis.
The program is open to all residential heating customers of Elizabeth Town Gas that meet the following guidelines.:
· Customer income should fall between 201 – 400 % of poverty or are facing a crisis situation.
· Maximum amount of grant is $450.00
· Customers are limited to one grant per year
· Grants are subject to availability of funding
· Gas bill needs to be in the name of the applicant applying for assistance
· Customer must show proof of income for all persons living in the household over 18 years of age or older.
Such proof must include:
1. Four consecutive weeks of pay stubs if paid weekly
2. Two paystubs if paid bi-weekly
3. Applicants can also provide award letters from Social Security
4. Proof of identity with picture (i.e. Driver’s License, DMV ID Card, Passport,)
· Customer must have made a good faith payment of $100.00 in the last 60 days.
· All crisis situations will require Elizabeth Town gas approval
Click here to download the Warm Neighbors Application.
Please contact PRAB Headquarters at (732) 828-4541 for details about programs.
RELATED news & Events
- PRAB Awarded $819,091 Grant to Provide Lead-Safe Remediation Activities in Middlesex County POSTED November 2, 2016
- NJ SHARES releases “American Winter” video POSTED October 22, 2015
- PRAB Receives Grant to Administer New Energy Assistance Program POSTED May 29, 2015
- HEA Team Recognized for Outstanding Service POSTED February 12, 2015
- LIHEAP Program Update POSTED September 7, 2014
- No events